Sunday, January 29, 2012

Change of direction here...

okay, so due to a brief sigh of relief and busy days, I thought I'd like to add my trivial resource cents here too... let's say I had an epiphany of sorts of what nirvana would be like (for me) and it begins here.....as I sit here listening to my fave lady Niki Minaj (thank you lovely), I stare in solace the winter 2012 issue of edible PORTLAND (www.edibleportland.com) and it makes me sooo happy. Thank you ECOTRUST for a wonderful community print resource. I am happy to be able to share with you a small window of the edible communities here in Portland, Oregon. I will also have postings of the wine country here in Oregon as well. It is all something I have a love for and I am happy to share this sustainability with you. Please check  the edible Portland out and don't forget to support your local farmers! they are a huge part of the heart of America. Let's get organic so go out there and shop local. Remember start locally expand globally!  I will post up beautiful photographs of the local sights and scenes for your enjoyment. the whirlwind of an ADHD here as my BFF calls me....

This winter's edible Portland highlights the "Life on a Mushroom Farm" on it's cover. It also features the "Three cheers for Parsley" and the "Cost of Coffee" as well.  I will rehash on the eP cover's featured farmer. The parsley and coffee articles are great too so you should definitely check the website out and enjoy. I love the parsley recipes and so will you. www.edibleportland.com

the featured article titles, "Out of the dark, Meet your local mushroom farm" composed by Lola Milholland is beautiful and simple in its direct message.  The article begins on the brief run down of what a mushroom is and where the capital Agaricus variety derive from....definitely not from Oregon. She also states that less than 4 percent of that variety is produced in the West Coast US (mostly in California of course). What a shame! Holy basil world! how can that be...so, the buddies Dan Thall and Brian Shaw take the variety to higher local level. they braved on the mushroom world. hehehe....thank goodness! The organic wizard Dan Thall cohorted with his college friend Brian Shaw and the Hood River Organics came into fruition. who knew growing mushrooms was that difficult! completely! and although having an organic operation sounds liberating and environmentally sound, it is at least 80 percent sweat equity.  the labor of love and science works in this organic farmers' idealism. exact science on temperature, water control, compost and the only non-local manifestation of "spawn" produce the king of this turd pile....cremini and portobello mushrooms.  all local baby! the pair also have an ample size amount of lush and organic fruits, eggs and bread as a part of their CSA (community supported agriculture) program. In the end, after the scientific and organic compost is used over, it is recycled into their organic orchards and shared among the local communities. a wonderful way to organically come full circle with their mushroom dreams.  You too can purchase the lush and bootiful compose from them. check them out and give them a holler of love and praise. http://hoodriverorganic.com/ourfriends.html sounds like i am going to make a visit to the two gentlemen's farm for my visual collections...keep in tune for future local photographs of the gorgeous upcoming NW spring season.....i hope....in the mean while, the following photographs are from four years ago in my first annual spring and summer visit to Hood River, Oregon. enjoy!

in Hood River, OR somewhere upon the fruitloop lane


a small glimpse of the eastern side of Mt. Hood


at my favoritest place, the Lavender Farm in Hood River, OR

another scenic shot

at the Rasmussen Farm in Hood River, OR
sunflowers of course!

a few alpacas of course, you gotta love em

driving out towards the river 

another slip of Mt. Hood, OR

other websites of interests:




No comments:

Post a Comment